Subject: optimal MP3 encoding to use for Jukebox?
From: Dermot Bradley (
Date: 2004-03-05

I ordered a Jukebox Studio V2 earlier this week. Whilst I'm waiting for it
to arrive I'm been wondering what settingsd I should re-encode all my MP3s
to for the Jukebox.

Currently I ripped all my CDs and encoded using Lame with "--alt-preset
extreme" which gives a good quality VBR for use with my Audiotrons at

Obviously the Jukebox/Rockbox doesn't need such a high level of quality -
especially as it would probably affect battery life.

What would people suggest is the best (i.e. high reasonable) quality to
use? "--alt-present standard"?? I plan to use Lame's MP3 decoding options
to read in my exiting files and re-encode them.