Subject: RE: Another possible candidate for expansion of Rockbox?
From: Chris Weaver (cweaver_at_bellsouth.net)
Date: 2004-03-05

Perhaps they meant it's ALWAYS better to have an open OS if you don't have access to the proprietary, closed source product and
development tools.

You must admit it is generally easier to modify a piece of consumer electronics gear running Linux.
Windows CE devices aren't too hard because the development tools are available.
But closed OS without access to development tools are difficult to modify to your own needs.