Subject: Re: Newbie Question
From: Brian Wolven (
Date: 2004-03-06

Geedavee wrote:
> I have just ordered the
> Archos 20 GB USB 2.0 MP3 Jukebox Recorder ($130 from Amazon)
> While waiting for it to arrive, I was wondering about how the file
> structure works.
> Can I have sub folders?
> e.g. Classic Rock/guitar/Clapton

You will have a FAT32 file structure on your Archos, just like the one
on your PC (unless you're using NTFS, or linux or have a Mac). In any
case, you can make as many subfolders as you want. I just mirror all of
my music files between my PC and my recorder 20. I sort by genre/artist
album - you may do it however you prefer.

> Does the Rockboxx software allow me to search for loaded mp3s by genre
> or artists from the info in the ID3 v1 or v2 tags?

The firmware does not do this in itself, but if you download the
id3browse program:

you can create an ID3 tag-based system that does just that. Browse by
artist, album, year, genre, etc. Check out for links to many other useful tools.

> While I am waiting for the delivery, I plan to reorganize my music
> collection based on what the limitations of the software will be.

Oooh - limitations. Don't say that in the same sentence with rockbox,
please. =) The hardware is the only limitation. (That'd be a good motto
for rockbox, ya know?)