Subject: Re: Another possible candidate for expansion of Rockbox?
From: Fred Maxwell (
Date: 2004-03-09

eD\/ARd0 F/\KEn^M3 wrote:

> My experience with embedded systems is almost zero so I don't have the nerve
> to disagree with you but I would be curious to know your thoughts on ITRON

Thanks for pointing out the article. It was an interesting read, though
TRON is not an embedded OS that I've personally worked with. It might
be a great choice for the OS in a device like an iPod or an Archos and
could lead to easier portability of a Rockbox-like project.

An open-source, unencumbered music player OS based on something like
TRON could encourage more companies, especially smaller ones, to release
players. The reduction in software-related NRE (Non-Recurring
Engineering) costs would make release of players practical for many
firms that are unwilling/unable to start from scratch to create a music
player OS.

> It's probably the most widely used OS in the world and it's open source.
> BTW, this article does support your argument about Linux versions a 'REAL'

 From the article:

"TRON is an RTOS; Linux isn't," Searle told LinuxInsider, adding that
ITRON has a smaller footprint and superior real-time performance."

Obviously, I agree about the Linux part. Linux is a tool in the
software engineer's toolbox and it's a great tool for certain purposes.
  But, using it as an RTOS, is like driving screws with a hammer.

   Fred Maxwell