Subject: Re: Turn-on procedure

Re: Turn-on procedure

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 06:05:50 +0100 (MET)

> It seems that before I flashed a daily build, the Archos firmware required
> a moderately long hold of the ON button to power the box up. Since
> flashing, it seems that a quick press of the ON button wakes up Rockbox.

This is because of a hardware oddity: The software has to flip a port bit to
"hold" the power for the box. Else it would shut off again, a fraction of a
second later than you release the "On" button. So you have to hold "On" until
the point where the software does this.

Everythings goes quicker from flash, this bit is set by my bootloader, it's
about the first thing it does. It hasn't always been this way, in an earlier
version the bootloader was not touching it, so you had to hold until Rockbox
(or Archos) software got started. People complained about this.

> If we want to change the turn-on procedure from a long press to a quick
> tap,
> shouldn't we make the change configurable, so klutzes like me don't
> inadvertently drain their batteries?

The bootloader has no access to the configuration. Theoretically possible,
but difficult to maintain. The bootload would have access the RTC RAM, and
know its layout, defined by Rockbox. Better don't think about it and the version
issues.

> On a similar vein, shouldn't we process all turnoff commands if someone
> presses and holds OFF during play? It certainly seems to be all under
> code
> control. That way, we would always correctly update RESUME and BOOKMARK
> information on any shutdown.

I also would like this. Unfortunately the power-off is not just software
only. If you hold "Off" long enough, the hardware cuts the power. Well, this is
fortunate if the software crashed, sortof our reset button. So when you hold
"Off" longer and the software wants to clean up, it has to 100% assure that
this is done before the power gets cut. The software would be racing against
this. And you don't want a power cut while e.g. the FAT of your file system
gets written, right?

Sorry for no better news,
Jörg