Subject: Re: Equalising "Problem"

Re: Equalising "Problem"

From: Fred Maxwell <rockbox_at_anti-spam.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:32:00 -0500

Gerrit Van Vranken wrote:

> This is why there are equalizers on
> stereo equipment. Equalization is done during the recording process to
> separate instruments and vocals to their own audible place in the audio
> spectrum and to normalize the sound for play on a variety of systems (car
> speakers, boom boxes and high end systems).

Mixing is how the instruments and vocals are positioned in a
multi-channel recording.

Equalization is an adjustment to the frequency spectrum to affect the
tonal balance of the recording. This is done either to cause the
recording to sound more realistic or to achieve some musical effect
(e.g. exaggerated bass on rap and hip-hop).

Seldom are commercial recordings released with eqaulization to
compensate for assumed strengths or weaknesses of listeners' systems
(though that was done by Elvis, who listened on an AM radio because
that's what most of his listeners owned). If one were to EQ a recording
to compensate for the substandard sound of most boom-boxes, it would be
unlistenable on a high-end system. And, after paying many thousands of
dollars to construct such a system, I'd be pretty pissed off to buy such
a recording.

Regards,
   Fred Maxwell