Subject: Re: 8Mb chip
From: Rocker (
Date: 2004-03-13

Another good point!
----- Original Message -----
From: "Andre Roessel" <>
To: "Rockbox development" <>
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 5:49 AM

> >Thanks dude! 15 to 30% more run time does not make it worth it for
> >me. You would think that 6 megs additional ram would greatly
> >increase the run time eh?
> Regardless of how much total RAM is available, the same amount of data
> still needs to be loaded to play any particular song. What additional
> RAM does is allow more data to be loaded at one time, so all you're
> really saving on is the extra spin up times which the smaller amount
> of RAM requires. Also, and I'm not sure of the impact it has, but
> more RAM requires more power to keep refreshed.
There is one more fact to be considered. I always use the Archos to listen
to before
falling to sleep. It is disturbing to have the disk spin up every 2 minutes.
You (and your
partner) can hear it even through the sound of the earphones when turned a
bit down. It
would be nice to have these spinups reduced to every 8 minutes or longer
with 8MB
RAM. It would take only some seconds more to load 8MB instead of 2 I think,
so this
would be not a problem at all. Spin up takes much longer then reading some
MB. And I
remember having heard that spinning up and down is very big stress for a
hard drive.