Subject: Re: A crazy idea
From: roland (for_spam_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2004-03-14

hi dave!

>On my unit alone, my MP3
> collection which takes up about 14 gig on my NTFS drive ends up using
> around 17 gig on the Archos.

errr - i cannot believe that fat32 takes 3 gb overhead, when you store just mp3`s.
how large/small is an average mp3 file on your archos?
i assume it must be VERY SMALL!

>This, when combined with large numbers
> of relatively small files (as most MP3 collections tend to be

no - in terms of allocation units, a mp3 file is a relatively LARGE file!

if my information is right, your fat32 partition should have a cluster size of 16kb, if you have 20GB hdd, or 32kb if you upgraded
to a bigger one:

The following cluster sizes are the defaults for FAT32 drives:

        Partition size Cluster size
        ----------- ------------
       less than 260 MB 512 bytes
        260 MB - 8 GB 4 kilobytes (KB)
          8 GB - 16 GB 8 KB
         16 GB - 32 GB 16 KB
     greater than 32 GB 32 KB

that means, if you have cluster size of 16kb and store 10000 files on your archos, in the WORST case you have
a loss of ~ 16KB x 10000. that is 160MB - not THAT much.

i understand, what led you to this idea, but i think your "wasted space" must result from something else. maybe you store a large
number of very small files beside your mp3 collection? maybe you have structural errors on your fat32 fs? i would recommend running
scandisk for checking your filesystem.
also check, at what cluster size your fat32 partition is formatted. i`m not sure, maybe cluster size can even be >32 KB on fat32 and
you accidentally have "jumbo clusters". :) if so, you should reformat with a smaller cluster size.

if you need to store large numbers of very small files on your archos (which are for sure non mp3 files) which you won`t need to
play on your archos - just create a second partition and format it with an "advanced" filesystem of your choice.

> Would it be
> possible to package all your MP3 files into one large, single file from
> which Rockbox could then read the individual MP3s from?
sure this would be possible - but - sorry - i think it won`t be really necessary at all and would be a mess, when it comes the the
"handling". if you really want a mp3 player, for which you need an additional utility to store files on, go buy one of those hundred
other ones where you dont have that big advantage, to be able to mount the player as a mass storage device ;)

regards
roland