Subject: was: [ 785643 ] Flash utility for hard drive BIOS

was: [ 785643 ] Flash utility for hard drive BIOS

From: roland <for_spam_at_gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:57:51 +0100

hi,

>>Flash utility for hard drive BIOS
>>There is a new BIOS from Hitachi that eliminates the
>>hard drive clicks. It would be nice to allow users to
>>upgrade their hard drive without removing the drive from
>>the unit.

>Followups:
>Sender: mikeholden
>I wonder if this may also help the RedLedDead problems? I
>would be interested in a URL for this also - please post it!
>Sender: newbeewan
>can you give a link where to find it ? I'm interested in it...
>Thanks

no link for a bios, but there is a page with a utility,which allows you to change drive beaviour.

http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/ftool_userguide.pdf

 Feature Tool (v1.92) The Feature Tool allows you to control some of the features of our Deskstar and Travelstar high performance
ATA hard disk drives and supports 48-bit addressing, so it will work with the new large capacity drives. This version adds support
for our latest drives. The Feature Tool allows you to:
  a.. Enable or disable the read-ahead or write cache.
  b.. Change the drive Automatic Acoustic Management settings to the:
    a.. Lowest acoustic emanation setting (Quiet Seek Mode), or
    b.. Maximum performance level (Normal Seek Mode).
  c.. Change the predefined capacity of the drive. This option can be used in situations where there is a BIOS limitation and the
drive is not recognized. See the users guid for specific details.
  d.. Switch the Ultra DMA mode
  e.. Change Advanced Power Mode - allows you to change between the lowest power consumption and the highest power consumption
(maximum performance level).
  f.. Show Drive Temperature - shows the current drive temperature in Celsius and Farenheit.regards

sounds quite interesting.
did anybody try that - especially regarding changing the power modes or changing accoustic management settings?
does this have any effect on runtime of the ajb?
does this tool probably work with other hdd`s ?
sorry - i cannot test - no floppy drive around here at the moment :D

roland