Subject: Poke it, I think it's dead

Poke it, I think it's dead

From: <icabod_at_impaktdevices.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 08:44:58 -0800

I've owned an Archos JBR15 for about a 14 months, and I have used Rockbox for
14 months minus one day.

Two days ago, I flashed the latest release (2.2) onto my box. It worked great.
Inside, I have a set of 1850mah Energizers, and they have served me well for
the past 9 months. Up until this morning, they held a charge extremely well...

Here's my story:
When I boot up the box this morning, the Rockbox boot screen is displayed for
about 1 second. Then everything goes dead. Subsequent presses of the power
button make the green LED light up momentarily, each time a little shorter
than the last. This gives every indication that my batteries are drained.

So I patiently endure the long bus ride (sans tunes) to work, where I can
charge it up. As of now, it has been on the charger for over an hour.

The green LED is lit, but it is pulsating from dim-to-bright, roughly every 2
seconds. About halfway through that, I can see (very very dimly) what looks to
be the RockBox boot screen. It lasts about a tenth of a second, and like I
said, it is very very dim.

I am resigned to assume that my Batteries have finally gone to the big Charger
In The Sky.. but I am scared to think that the issue is bigger than that. Is
it simply a case of bad batteries, or is my Archos finally and completely dead?