Subject: Re: Plugged in Car-charger - smoke out of my box - no charging

Re: Plugged in Car-charger - smoke out of my box - no charging

From: BlueChip <cs_bluechip_at_webtribe.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 22:39:28 +0000

At 21:47 16/03/04, you wrote:
>I used the standard 9V Voltage. The Adapter is capable of 800mA, but the
>Archos only need 500mA - could this be a problem?

No, that problem is the other way around ...if the player needs more
current than the adaptor can supply, then the adaptor will melt ...The
adaptor will only kill the player if the voltage is too high.

>Of course I unplugged the box. It's still booting up and playing - but I
>cannot charge it anymore....

I don't know, but I'm guessing the voltage was too high (or AC) and you
have blown the charger circuit. Components will be obviously damaged
...HOPEFULLY that is all that is dead ...replacement part should be quite
simple (if you speak to RS, Rat Shack, Farnell, etc) ...doing the work
...if you need to ask so far, it is a safe guess that your soldering skills
are not up to the job :(

>Finding an electronic engineer will be hard. And finding the broken part
>probably even worse.....

Mentioned in an earlier post, I just visited these people:
http://www.newmp3technology.com/
...and they seem to be JUST what you need :)

BC