Subject: Recorder V2 charger voltage
From: RK (randyk_at_wi.rr.com)
Date: 2004-03-17

Someone else had posted that their charger had burned out their Recorder V2.
I would not suggest that anyone get a car adapter with an adjustable
voltage; mine is a fixed voltage.

Since I was curious, I measured the Recorder V2 compared to the Radio Shack
9V adapter at various loads to see what the voltage output is. So the
following table below is Stock charger voltage (mA), Radio Shack charger
voltage (mA), and ohm load used to test.

Stock(mA);RS(mA);Ohm load

(In the USA, decimals are fractions)
8.25(165);9.41(189);50
6.33(633);9.23(923);10
7.20(400);9.20(511);18
9.47(0);9.48(0);open ckt

So which car charger to use--and is the Radio Shack 9V too high; probably
not for battery charging. But when I wire this into my car, I will probably
use something like an LM7808, which is a small fixed-voltage 8V regulator.
6V appears to be too low and anything much over the stock open circuit
voltage of 9.47 is probably too high.

Sorry if I got too technical. :) Now, it's time for me to try the new V2.2
firmware flash.

Randy