Subject: RE: Plugged in Car-charger - smoke out of my box - no charging
From: Chris Weaver (cweaver_at_bellsouth.net)
Date: 2004-03-17

Your reply is certainly not rude but it is a bit misleading as I agree was mine. You are correct that these are unregulated and if
the output current was an order of magnitude different and the load was far below the rated load then you are correct it might be a
problem.

A non regulated supply will certainly have a high output voltage with very little current draw, perhaps 10% of rated output and
lower. Specifically, the open circuit DC voltage output is 1.414 times the loaded voltage when using a full wave bridge rectifier.
However, this voltage will drop as soon as you start to draw any significant current. Also note that the Archos power input is
designed to handle this unregulated voltage and should be able to handle startup and low current draw voltages up to and exceeding
the open circuit voltage.

As a practical example, I have the V2 and the supplied 6VDC 700ma AC adaptor has an open voltage level of 9VDC which is identical to
the open circuit output of my 2100ma 6VDC adaptor. I contend that the Archos would operate fine with either supply as both will
operate in the same basic range of voltages given the Archos current draw. Although I admit that I have not measured either supply
under load nor am I familiar with the typical range of current draw the Archos demands my point is that the specifics are not of any
real concern as they are in the same basic range.