Subject: low-tech ways to avoid polarity problems
From: George Michaelson (ggm_at_apnic.net)
Date: 2004-03-18

My non-archos charger wasn't clearly coded for polarity. In any case, it
still wouldn't help if the tip and the cable separated, without clear +/-
labelling. I was able to get it right, but with a removable tip, the risk is
I'll muck it up some day when the tip comes off (as it does, frequently)

So I used tip-ex to make a white stripe when the tip was on the correct polarity
which lines up with its sister-mark on the cable. Now if the tip and cable
separate, I can guarantee its gone back correctly.

I also wrote the polarity onto the archos case. Less effective, but useful in
emergencies.

-George