Subject: Re: Car adapter
From: Neon John (
Date: 2004-03-18

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:04:46 -0500, David Litchman <> wrote:

>All this talk of voltages and such has got me wondering. Does anyone know
>where I can get a car adapter for my V2? I took it and the wall adapter to
>Radio Shack to see if they had anything, but the only plug they had which
>was small enough to fit in the hole was still too big to make contact with
>the central element. Has anyone had any luck finding one that will work
>with the V2? Even Archos doesn't seem to offer them on their site.

Sure. Before I got rid of my FMR and got a real recorder, I had all that
stuff. In fact, I might have a spare I could shoot your way in return for an
SASE. It takes a 6 volt adapter with an "H" plug. The plug is the same on
all the Archoses (Archi?) that I have or have had, a Studio 10, an FMR
(actually several in series as they failed and were replaced on warranty) and
several Recorder V1's. The voltage is different but the plugs are the same.

I tried to run them all at one voltage but it didn't work. The V1 will run on
6 volts but won't charge the battery. The FMR will run on 9 volts but it
smokes the charging circuit.

The fixed voltage switch mode adapter with the guts built into the cig lighter
plug works very well. That's what I have.

John De Armond
Cleveland, Occupied TN