Subject: Re: Plugged in Car-charger - smoke out of my box - no charging
From: Neon John (
Date: 2004-03-18

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:29:55 -0500, Chris Holt <> wrote:

>Yep, I've confirmed that neither end of the cassette adapter will fit into
>the cigarette lighter outlet. ;)
>For the Studio and original recorder models you will need a 9v adapter
>600ma minimum with the proper size plug, and make double, even triple sure
>that you have the plug set for center positive.

YES! When I get a new adapter I test the actual polarity with a DVM and then
superglue the plug to the adapter. I just don't trust their marking system
enough to risk anything without metering it.

>The RS kind come with
>one free "adaptaplug" tip, and I believe the one you need is the "H" tip.
>I recommend you get one that is simply 9v, or if you do get one with a
>switchable output, make sure it is recessed so no accidental changes. You
>can also take the suggestion that others have made and glue the tip on to
>the plug, so that doesn't get accidentally reversed.

"H" plug is correct. I personally would not let an adjustable voltage adapter
within 10 ft of my equipment. Murphy's just itching to flip that switch and
let the blue smoke leak out.

>On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 08:15:44 -0800, Geedavee wrote:
>> I'm sorry, I should have clarified. I was looking for a power adapter
>> that plugs in to the cigarette lighter outlet.
>> Chris Holt wrote:
>>> I like the Sony CPA-9c (not the 7c) because it uses a belt drive
>>> instead of gears which can be noisy. I had a memorex adapter and the
>>> gear noise drove me nuts during quiet passages or low volume
>>> listening.
>>> That would be my basic recommendation.
>>> Chris

John De Armond