Subject: Re: CeBit 2004

Re: CeBit 2004

From: Martin Borus <martin_at_borus.de>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:48:01 +0100

>as I tomorrow will visit the CeBIT at Hannover, what Do you say?
>Shall I go to Archos and show them Rockbox?
>In if yes: What do I have to show them?
>Do you have a real cool Video for me?

As far as I remember this was also done last year also.
I would only show it if you can get into contact with someone
with some responsibility.

If you decide to show it to them, IMHO it would be better
not show them the video at all. It´s very cool but it will draw
their attention away from the real benefits of the firmware.
Archos seems to think that flashy features are more important
than stable firmwares. Instead of out-flashing them you could
urge them to release models that stay rockbox-compatable to
give you a firmware that actually works reliably.

So if you have to, show:
- the fast booting time from flash
- the bookmarks
- the talking menus (in development)
- the fast file access / super fast forwarding
- reliable recording for long periods: Point out that you can not rely on the
Archos firmware to record important lectures and live events because it often
crashes after running a few hours. Rockbox has been tested to record flawlessly
for 100hrs and longer.

Also you might want to point out that they should continue producing
models that have normal rechargable batteries that you can exchange
manually. The new V2 models are useless for recordings "in the field" as
they do not let you carry around spare batteries.

Regards
Martin