Subject: Re: Re[2]: CeBit 2004
From: Tat Tang (tat_tang_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 2004-03-18

> That's a major bug. Accented characters are not just
> accents, they are completely different characters
> and must be preserved.

I wish it was a bug, then I'd fix it!!! Unicode is the
best way to resolve the issue. (If it makes you feel
any better UK pound signs disappear.)

Here's why the issue arises.

Chinese encodings are multi-byte character sets
(MBCS). They use one byte ASCII characters (0..127)
range and two bytes for Chinese characters.

To figure out whether to read a single byte or two
bytes, you need something like this:

int strlen(unsigned char* p)
{

}

So, any character with the 8th bit set maps into
Chinese code-space...It's the reason why all web
browsers allow you to manually set the encoding. BTW
you might want to add an encoding tag to the Rockbox
pages ;)

What manufacturers do, is maintain separate European
and Chinese products...