Subject: Re: voice UI, step 1 committed (talking menus)
From: [IDC]Dragon (idc-dragon_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2004-03-19

> Hey Jörg,
> Are you the only person responsible for the voice menus, or has someone
> been working with you?

I'm the sole person to blame.

Brian Wolven made a script to "walk" the directory tree and generate talkbox
directory name clips using the Microsoft built-in TTS engine. This will come
into play when I've integrated the "classic" talkbox feature, too. (Which is
planned and internally prepared.)

Rocker inspired the whole thing with his posting a month ago:
http://rockbox.haxx.se/mail/archive/rockbox-archive-2004-02/0498.shtml

I then started this thread:
http://rockbox.haxx.se/mail/archive/rockbox-archive-2004-02/0565.shtml
My search for a human speaker brought me back to PC-based TTS, which is more
mature than I originally thought. So this is quite useable, we don't need to
send somebody to a recording studio over and over again, plus painfully cut
hundreds of clips.

> I noticed that in the settings there are no values read, like volume, or
> contrast settings.
> Do you plan on putting in some numbers for this?

Yes, this is work in progress. I'm very close, please expect it for the next
days.

> Also, the voice, MSTTS Mary is quite clear, but I was wondering if you
> could
> use some AT&T recordings, especially the AT&T voice, Crystal.
> Crystal sounds quite lovely.
> I have always thought that although quite intelligible, Mary sounds like a
> bitch.

We/you can use whatever voice you like. It was just a first shot. I'm aware
of the nice AT&T voices, but don't have them since they're not free. We could
automatedly "harvest" clips from their interactive web demo, if somebody
looks into that script...
http://www.research.att.com/projects/tts/demo.html
http://www.naturalvoices.att.com/demos/

Is the AT&T stuff integrated in the Microsoft speach engine, once purchased
and installed? That would make it very easy for us to use from own
applications/scripts.

Jörg