Subject: Red LED Death revisited

Red LED Death revisited

From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:47:11 +0100

Yesterday, I finally managed to reproduce the Red LED Death on my FM
Recorder. I then immediately started investigating and I found a few
interesting things about it:

1) It's damn hard to reproduce :-)

2) The ATA driver times out a little too early waiting for RDY, and
probably doesn't handle the timeout correctly. I have committed a "fix"
for this, which made it even harder for me to reproduce the RLD.

3) I managed to reproduce it with the Archos firmware as well. This is
not good news.

BTW, I have a Hitachi DK23DA-20, like most of you who experience the RLD.

Please try the 20030320 daily build and report back if the situation has
changed.

Linus