Subject: Re: dB volume (was: wireless audio link. hiss problems on songs.. via archos/rockbox 2.2)
From: Mike Holden (
Date: 2004-03-20

We had this discussion a while ago. I voted % then, and I still do now!
Rockbox should be aimed at the "average (wo)man on the street". For that
person, % is obvious, intuitive, and they know what they are doing. dB
just doesn't make sense to them. If you want a dB display, add it as an
option and leave % as the default - best of both worlds.

Uwe Freese said:
> Hello Fred,
> FM> I really like it better as a percent. It is more intuitively
> obvious to FM> non-technical people.
> FM> The average person doesn't know the difference between dB SPL and
> dbV. FM> If most people see "0dB", they think that means "silent." They
> don't FM> understand the relationship between the "dB" number that they
> see on the FM> display and the dB figure that they see in the efficiency
> rating of FM> their headphones, why there are negative dB "levels", etc.
> I'm sure FM> that there would even be some people who would think that
> their hearing FM> couldn't be damaged because the volume was "only" at
> 12dB -- and 12dB FM> can't hurt your hearing.
> I would also prefer a dB display going from -something dB to 0dB. I
> don't think this is so unusual - all the modern amplifiers / receivers
> (including mine) show volume in dB.
> To summarize: I vote for dB. :)
> Bye, Uwe.

Mike Holden