Subject: Windows delayed write failed, files not playing

Windows delayed write failed, files not playing

From: Aman Singer <aman_at_asinger.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 16:21:22 -0500

Hi, all.
        Two questions, if I may. They may be related.
        First, I have my Archos 6000 player connected to a USB port on this
Windows XP SP1 machine. When I try to transfer a large number of large files
(actually 1.6 GB, 844 files), I eventually get a message saying "windows
delayed write failed". It says that the file, then gives a file name, could
not be written and that this could be a problem with the network hardware.
I've searched this error out on Google, but they give explanations which
aren't really applicable (enable DMA, install drivers for the video card, so
on). Most of the solutions apply to internal drives. Is there any way to
stop this error?
        Secondly, some of the MP3 files I transfer won't play on the Archos,
and won't transfer to the computer. These are not necessarily the files
mentioned in the error message, though those may not play too, but other
files that seemed to transfer fine. I simply get silence when I try to play
them. Could this have anything to do with the difficulties transferring
files to the unit? I have run
        chkdsk/f
        on the drive, and it comes back that no problems were found. My
specs are below, just in case someone sees a component or motherboard known
to cause trouble.

Windows XP Pro SP1
  Pentium 4 running on an Intel D850EMV2 motherboard
2.8 GHz
1024 MB of RAM
3DFX Voodoo3 video card

        Thanks.