Subject: Re: Broken LCD :(

Re: Broken LCD :(

From: David Litchman <Davel23_at_rcn.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 20:34:09 -0500

To the best of my understanding, using inverse display would make no
difference in power consumption. In an LCD, there are tiny little crystals
which are suspended in liquid (hence the name). If a particular cell (or
pixel, if you prefer) is on, then a charge is passed through it which
aligns the crystals in such a way as to allow light through. If it's off,
then the charge is used to align the crystals so that light will not pass
through. So regardless of whether or not the pixel is illuminated the same
amount of power is used. At least, that's how I understand it. If anyone
knows better please feel free to correct me.