Subject: Configurable FN keys
From: c0utta fish (
Date: 2004-03-21

I know I'm risking a flood of mail, but here goes....

You may (or may not) be aware that I've been working on configurable F2 & F3
buttons. Without boring you with the intimate details, I have created the
ability to add actions to the FN keys based upon the context you're in at
the time (WPS & Tree at the moment). These actions are read (once) from a
special keypad map file and placed into a menu. What needs to be done now
is define a starting list of actions that should be added to these menus so
we can start including this functionality in the daily builds.

Think of actions as any item in the F1 menu (except for items that display
sub-menus) and the On-Play menu. Examples include:
- running the plugin browser
- running a particular plugin
- displaying the "set volume" screen
- setting the volume to a specific level (for when you switch between
- deleting a file

Also, you can have an action in multiple contexts so you could set the
volume level from both WPS and Tree. All accessible from your friendly F2

Linus suggested that I should be creative enough to come up with my own list
of candidates for context sensitive menus. Well, he's wrong, because I'm
not particularly creative so I'll ask fellow Rockboxers to tell me what
items they'd like by sending their requests to c0utta at

For me, adding an individual action involves some programming work so I plan
to do 8 items for each context sensitive menu in the beginning. If your
request involves too many mental gymnastics then I'll leave it out (before
Rockbox, it was 10 years since I'd touched C so I'm still a bit rusty).
Don't fret, I'll get to it in the long run. Also, there may be actions that
we don't want to convert - I'll run these past the core developers. Also,
if you lobby me on IRC I might bump your request up the list if I can be

I hope that you'll see daily builds with configurable, context sensitive FN
keys by 10-Apr-2004..

We've 100s of NEW questions! Play Millionaire online to win $$$$. Click here