Subject: RE: How to get them to manufacture for us: An idea and a draft

RE: How to get them to manufacture for us: An idea and a draft

From: Jake Wilcox <ohbejake_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 15:00:30 -0700

Wow, this sounds like a great idea to me.

I like the draft, too.

I'm taking issue with just one of the points in the draft, though. Open
source software does not mean zero-cost as far as software development goes.

The company that would take on such a project would still need programmers
to tweak hardware specs for compatibility with the already existing
software. Further, the company would also need programmers to see that
future updates with the product would either remain compatible with the
open-source solution or become so.

So there is cost, just not as much.