Subject: Re: voice UI, step 1 committed (talking menus)
From: Björn Stenberg (
Date: 2004-03-22

Linus Nielsen Feltzing wrote:
> As far as I can tell from the standard natural voices license, we are
> not allowed to distribute the WAV's we create.

Isn't it cute that this license only limits Linux customers? Windows buyers get no obnoxious restrictions.

""Non-Commercial Purpose" also excludes, without limitation, any use of the
Software, ---> speech synthesized by the Software <----, or Your Developed
Program, for, as part of, or in connection with a product or service which is
sold, offered for sale, licensed, leased, loaned or rented or otherwise
provided or distributed for free, for a fee or otherwise."

(arrows inserted by me)

Is this really legal? Any lawyers in the crowd? Can a program maker really claim ownership of all output generated by the program? If so, are compiler makers next? Or office programs?