Subject: ATA speedup (was Re: Voice UI, step 3 done)
From: [IDC]Dragon (idc-dragon_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2004-03-22

> > On another construction site, it would be great if we can sometime
> > enable the fast ATA routines, this would also help.
>
> Yeah. I'm just worried that it will cause disk corruption for some people.
> We need to do more tests. AFAIK Jens' test never managed to provoke a
> failure, did it?

Correct. And Linus' LA measurements also didn't show anything unusual.
However, enabling it now for everybody would very likely bring back the mysterious
problem. We could work around that by having both routines and deciding at
runtime which to use, based on the cycle times the disk reports. The problem
appeared only for the disks reporting slow values here, IIRC.

Jörg