Subject: Crossfeed (was Re: Sound quality test)
From: [IDC]Dragon (
Date: 2004-03-23

> > Rockbox stereo separation is "too wide, with too little punch".
> "Stereo" means that the left input goes to the left output and the right
> input to the right output. Achieving channel separation in the whole
> audio chain is the goal, but enormously difficult - there's some miniscule
> crosstalk at probably every point in the analog domain. The digital
> domain is the only place where we can be absolutely certain that there is
> no crosstalk unless we add it in - so please, let's not...

Technically speaking you're correct for channel separation, but there's
another aspect to it, why crosstalk is in fact desirable:
Normal stereo recordings are made for speaker reproduction, not for
headphones (unless it's an "artificial head" recording, those are rare). Speakers in
a room have a lot of crosstalk before the sound gets to your ear. When you
put on headphones, this room is missing, the sound is in your head instead.
There are a lot of concepts for room simulation, the easiest is a crossfeed.
However, it should be frequency-dependent, a linear crossfeed is indeed an

See here for some details on crossfeeding:
The site is in general an awesome resouce for all aspects of headphone
Above link was just one of many projects, some dealing with various

100% Virenerkennung nach Wildlist. Infos: