Subject: New JBR V2
From: Lyman Green (daerid_at_io.com)
Date: 2004-03-23

OK, my JBR V2 arrived, and has the 1.40a firmware from Archos on it.
Immediate impressions:

1. I like the form factor.
2. I immediately put Rockbox on it, so I haven't even looked at the
Archos software. I couldn't think of any reason to look at the Archos
stuff, given that I believe the Rockbox programmers list of things that
they do better.

I have a few issues so far:

1. I have hit a number of MP3 tracks that seem to have blips or skips in
them. I would swear they did NOT have those skips and/or blips when I
ripped them, but now I'm going to have to spend some time to determine if
that really is the case. I thought it might be skipping so I increased
the read-ahead skip setting to 6 seconds. I think I'll increase it even
more.
2. It doesn't seem as though Rockbox sorts by ID tag info. I have
Crystal Method's Legion of Boom on the box and it seems to sort the songs
in the directory incorrectly, though they do seem to have ID3 tags that
are correct and should allow it to sort and play correctly.

Battery life seems great - I started the player yesterday at 8AM and
stopped at 11:15. Started again at 1 and went to 4PM. It still showed
more battery life left after 6 hours of play! Very nice.

Since I haven't tried Archos I can't say if this is a quicker boot up
sequence, but I have to say it boots up really quick and I'm happy with
that. I also really like the resume feature.

Still exploring the unit and Rockbox!

Lyman Green

--
Oh yeah, that's what I like about you baby, you're always on time!