Subject: Re: [ rockbox-Patches-920256 ] Traditional/Simplified Chinese patch
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2004-03-24

Tat Tang wrote:
> Is there a rule of thumb for calculating minuimum buffer space?

No, we simply want as much buffer as we can get since smaller buffer means shorter battery life.

> So, the proposed boot sequence is something like this:
>
> 1. Boot into single byte mode.
> 2. If configured for single byte mode then finished
> 3. Otherwise, malloc a suitable buffer and load the
> required conversion table.
> 4. Switch into multi-byte mode.

Sounds good. Just note that we have no malloc, only buffer_alloc() which is for boot-time allocation of buffer space. Once allocated, it that cannot be returned.

> This seems clumsy, and it would be nicer if the user
> selects a font and the required charset is
> automatically loaded. This requires changing the font
> format to include a charset. Does this sound like a
> reasonable change?

I'd prefer to not change the font format. We could instead make font_load() look for a .charset file next to the .fnt file and load that if available.

--
Björn