Subject: Re: Genres redux
From: BlueChip (
Date: 2004-03-26

>>The whole CD-driven music market left a bad flavor in my mouth after I
>>bought five or six hundred of them. I still buy CDs, but they're immediately
>>ripped into artist folders and live in a box thereafter.
>So you would dump all CDs by The Grateful Dead (assuming that you listened
>to that group) into one folder of songs? If so, how do you deal with
>multiple versions of the same song, say one from a live album and one from
>a studio album?

Personally I append "(live)" on the end. This also means that when I get
two albums with the same track then I do not need to store two copies of
the same song or choose to have some albums with apparently missing tracks.

Even id3v2 doesn't solve this dilemma completely - but it has enough gaps
for you to create your own sensible work around.

>>I guess the point is the difference between how you and I see our
>>collections. Track numbers are how you navigate and know where you're at.
>>The song title is the important navigational bit to me. Interesting.
>The titles are the most important item to me, also. I find thirty
>characters, combined with the artist name and album name, is more than
>enough for me to identify a piece of music.

I guess you do not own a copy of the track
"One-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater"
or anything by
"The Sensitive New Age Cowpersons"

There are many many many other benefits to id3v2 - all of them equally as
humerous :)

...I'm sure a quick pop into CDDB would turn up any number of other
humerous examples that forced the upgrade id3v2?

>But track numbers are how I play an album in the order intended by the
>artist. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon or The Beatles Sgt. Pepper are
>albums, not merely collections of singles to be played in any combination
>or order.
>As you say, it's always interesting to see how others organize their

       /_hip-hop, rap & reggae

individual file names contain:
the nature of the recording... if not studio then "(live)" or "(acoustic)"
or "(remix)" etc.
original artist eg. "[Peggy Lee]" or "[Beethoven]"

the id3v2 tags contain artist home url; coverart; tlen; label; catalog
number; encoder details; etc etc

If you want to drive yourself mad - buy _almost_ complete collections for
either "Yello" or "Clannad" :-)
And lots and lots of "best of" albums (again the Yello collections are a
nightmare to catalog)

> Fred Maxwell

Hope that was the information you are interested about