Subject: context sensitive and configurable menus -=> U.I.
From: David H. Straayer (mail_at_dhstraayer.com)
Date: 2004-03-27

In an earlier post,

Salokyn wrote:
> Right, but since "Boad .cfg files" as been moved deep into the
menu, it's
> not very easy to change config.
> Maybe it could be nice to put "Manage settings" in the "Sound
settings" too
> ?

...and Linus replied: "I'm hoping that our context sensitive and
configurable menus will solve that problem."

This brings up a topic I've been pondering. One of the very few
advantages of the Archos FW over Rockbox (Gee, I can't think of
any other) is that the FW "labels" the three F-buttons on the
Recorder in menu situations. This makes it a lot easier to
remember what buttons do in different contexts. Usually, the
four arrow keys are pretty easy to figure out, but I'm always
wondering what the F-buttons will do.

I'd love it if I could configure the Rockbox so that the three
F-buttons are always "labeled" with a phrase to suggest what
they would do. The labels could change appropriately in
response to the "shift" function of the "on" button.

I'd gladly dedicate the bottom line to this sort of help. Using
the voice output option, the system could speak the labels for
the F-buttons whenever they change.

What do you think?

David H. Straayer
916.729.4954