Subject: Re: How Rockbox generates Unicode file name?
From: Tat Tang (
Date: 2004-03-28

> No. We use the long name only. However, we strip
> the most significant 8 bits.

Err...not in my world ;)

> Simple. Our code only supports Latin-1, and
> expects the most significant
> byte to be 0x00. We have no real support
> for unicode.

So if I read this correctly, there is a mixture of
Unicode and non-Unicode filenames. A non-Unicode
filename is recognised when the most significant byte
is 0x00, hence the default clause in the unicode2iso

Without this default clause, Rockbox would regard a
native character string as Unicode and try to convert
it to iso resulting in garbled filenames.

Luckily enough (or perhaps by design), Chinese
character sets never introduce 0x00 (or any Ascii
control character into the byte stream).

Do you Yahoo!?