Subject: Re: Really OT
From: Chris Holt (
Date: 2004-03-29

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 17:30:54 -0500, Neon John wrote:
> Either are superior to Total Recorder which is nothing more than a
> virtual tape recorder. Especially when the computer is in use for
> other things at the same time. TR is subject to all the things that
> corrupt windoze sound including other sounds, pauses caused by other
> activity and network congestion. Capturing the original data stream
> alleviates all of these problems.

These statements are only true if you are not using the Total Recorder
device. TR offers two methods of recording either via the mixer (with the
inherent problems you describe above) and directly from software (with the
inherent advantage of being able to record DRM'd formats) with several
features including multiple speeds (obviously only useful for local files)
and a remove silence feature which prevents internet recording gaps. I'd
also like to point out that TR does have an option to turn off sounds
assigned to system events, even when recording from the mixer. Other
programs should be under the users control, or not left running for
absentee recording.

The Pro version of TR (39.95) also offers the option to initiate a web
connection to record a scheduled web broadcast, visual splitting and auto
splitting features.

"Pretty crude" only begins to describe my experience with Streambox VCR.
I wasted a couple of hours trying to get it to do *anything* at all. I
don't remember if it even had timer features, the lack of which would
render it useless for some.