Subject: Re: ATA Reading Performance?
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (
Date: 2004-03-29 wrote:
> Have the problems been attributed to having a slow spinup time (440
> ns) or was it Disk Poweroff stuff that made a?

We still don't know. All we know is that some people with a specific
type of disk had problems. They had an access time of 400ns without IORDY.

> Would it be safe to use on faster drives and how has it been working
> on your disks if you've been using the "turbocharged" code? Here is
> my hard disk info if it is needed.

So far only slower disks have had problems, so it is likely that it will
work on your disk.

There is no patch, instead uncomment this line in ata.c:

#define PREFER_C /* mystery: assembler caused problems with some disks */