Subject: Generating playlists

Generating playlists

From: Johan Vromans <jvromans_at_squirrel.nl>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:56:26 +0200 (CEST)

I often create shuffled playlists of big collections of albums, for
convenience playing while in the car, and so on. This is particularly
handy in combinations with Bookmarks -- I have several of these big
playlists and I can select which one to resume.

I created a little tool to automatically create the playlists.

'playlist.pl' (a Perl program) takes a list of directories that
contain mp3 files, gathers the mp3 files from these directories, and
creates a shuffled playlist that you can copy to your Rockbox.

http://www.squirrel.nl/people/jvromans/mp3tools/playlist.pl

The program should work on Windows as well, although I have not been
able to verify this.

For example, assume the following disk lay-out on the Rockbox:

   /music/artist1/album1
         ...mp3s...
   /music/artist1/album2
         ...mp3s...
   /music/artist2/album1
         ...mp3s...
   /music/artist2/album2
         ...mp3s...
   ...etc...

then

   perl playlist.pl -v /music/*/* > playlist.m3u
   => Playlist contains 450 tracks from 39 directories

If you have a copy of all music files on the hard disk of your PC
(like I have), you can prepare playlists off-line. All my Rockbox
files reside in a directory /sp3/Player.

   perl playlist.pl --strip /sp3/Player /sp3/Player/music/*/* > playlist.m3u

This is like the above example, but also strips a leading
"/sp3/Player" from all entries, so they reflect the files on the
Rockbox (i.e, starting with "/music").

You can also manually create a list of files and directories, and feed
them to the standard input:

   perl playlist.pl < filelist.dat > playlist.m3u

Enjoy your rocking box,

      Johan