Translations

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: *Panic* ATA - 71

Re: *Panic* ATA - 71

From: <csweet_at_hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 09:58:28 -1000

Rich, that happened to me a couple of days ago. I thought my V2 was toast, it wasn't responding to anything. But I randomly started pressing buttons and - lo and behold - the combination of F1 and OFF shut it down. I then rebooted and everything was fine.

I've had real problems trying to demount my Archos from my PC. Usually, it happens when I've plugged in the USB cable, and the V2 is in USB mode, but the PC doesn't recognize it. See some threads from earlier in the month with suggestions. One was to run the Windows XP hardware wizard to find the device, but that didn't do me any good. The other was to reboot my PC, but that didn't help either. For me, the trick seems to be - if the Archos is in USB mode but not recognized by the PC and you can't get the "safely remove hardware" message, you can pull the cable ONE TIME. The Archos then switches out of USB mode. Then reboot it, replug the USB cable, and the second time it works. DO NOT simply replug in the cable without first rebooting the Archos - whenever I do this, it never reads on my PC, and any subsequent unplugging always generates some sort of terrible ATA panic message.

Charlie