Subject: Re: voice build change?
From: [IDC]Dragon (idc-dragon_at_gmx.de)
Date: 2004-03-30

>I just now realized that the voice stuff adds a whole bunch of blank
strings
>to lang.c without any really good reason.

Yes, I am aware of this since I started it. We're wasting 5 bytes per
voice-only ID, 4 for the pointer, 1 for the null char it points to. I talked to
Linus about it, he wasn't concerned. But agreed, I also don't like it.

>I therefor suggest that we move the voice-only strings from the lang.[ch]
>files into a separate lang-voice.h file.

It's very beneficial for the voice code to have one set of IDs, not two. I
was thinking about assigning negative IDs to the voice-only ones. So they
could appear in the lang.h enum, but not in the lang.c array. I need something
that can grow in 2 directions, such that an older voicefile with newer software
does not get all entries shifted. (That would make it really difficult to
use ;-)

>genlang checks the 'desc' field in the .lang file for the magic string
'spoken
>only' to detect voice-only strings.

Uh, why that? Spoken-only are those which have an empty "regular" text
field.

Jörg