Subject: Re: voice build change?
From: [IDC]Dragon (
Date: 2004-03-30

>> Either way, the fact that it is negative or has 0x8000 set could be used
>> determine if it is a voice-only string.
>Ok, here's another attempt that generates a "VOICEONLY_DELIMITER" in the
>generated list with enums. All ids above that point are voice-only strings.

Sorry to be such a nag today, but I don't think this is viable, because then
the voice files are not downward compatible. If you come with a new software
which has extra strings, it would fetch into the first voice-only entries.
I'm trying to have the voice files in a way that they don't have to be aware
of Rockbox versions (as long as you don't move the IDs around). So, requests
to speak a new ID which is not present just gives silence. With this new
separation into LANG_/VOICE_ we need two "directory" tables in the voice file.
The distinction which table to use should be fixed, not floating with the size
of one table.
I then need to change my authoring tool for the voice file to create two
directories, and of course the function which fetches the clip based on the ID.

>(uplang was also just updated since it had no knowledge of the voice
>at all which made it impossible to synch languages with voice data etc, and
>since uplang is used in the build it needs to work for this new genlang
>to work...)

I only tested if the voice entries are no harm to the normal lang.[ch]
generation. I'm not too familiar with the localization concept.

100% Virenerkennung nach Wildlist. Infos: