Subject: Re: Startup freeze

Re: Startup freeze

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 16:33:54 +0200 (MEST)

> Hello Jörg,
>
> Do you think that sometime down the road it would be possible to Voice UI
> the flashing process.

Not planned, for various reasons. Plugins can't use the voice file, they're
not part of the localization. Well, they could use the existing voice clips,
but it makes no sense to include anything some plugins have to say in the
voice file. We're short of space already.
Plugins can do their own "voicing" if they like, they have the API to
produce sound (like the metronome plugin or the Chip8 game emulator).
But I'm finding it to exotic to do that for the flash plugin.

> I know I know, I am likely asking to much but hey,
> in for a penny, in for a pound.

Yepp. ;-)

Seriously, flashing is not difficult. Maybe you can get sighted assistance
when doing the initial one, which is a bit more involved. I can give you
instructions in a nutshell, if necessary.

Any later updates are really easy. You only need to copy the .ucl file into
maybe some special folder you keep for that purpose. The talkbox feature
should be helpful to navigate there. Then you only need to play that file, press
F2 (to start the flashing) and wait a few seconds until the disk goes quiet
again. Done! There is no really interesting screen output. It would tell you
if a verify error happened, but this has never been reported. Flashing only
starts if everything fits, is readable, etc. Even blind users should not be
able to do it wrong.

Jörg