Subject: archos as a cd changer
From: jobarjo (jobarjo78_at_yahoo.fr)
Date: 2004-03-31

Hi all

I finally succeeded in connecting a sony head unit to a pic16f84a with
the gnunilink software (gnunilink.sourceforge.net)

Now I would like it to comunicate with the archos.

I know I am not the only one wanting to do that. However I've had a look
in rockbox source, and it seems not easy to interact with the mpeg and
the status. I could not find any work for a tight integration between
the mp3 and an external device.

Could anyone show me a pointer to some work that has already been done?

The actual remote control stuff is polled! Is there a problem
implementing a non blocking interrupt handler? I need to implement it as
interrupt because the archos should respond in a limited time to
gnunilink requests.

What I propose is simple:
- actions are communicated from the interrupt handler to the firmware
through a queue to avoid critical sections.
- status are memory mapped. just need some small infos:
    - disc name (folder name)
    - track name
    - time
no need for a mutex or something...

for the action queue i propose to use the button queue. navigation could
be done through standard archos behaviour just by mapping some specific
head unit actions into some archos buttons...

For the status, it would be the same, except that the head unit has 8
characters. the display is also polled by the gnunilink, so there will
be latency between actions and the display.
talkbox could help...

any comments welcome...