Subject: Re: a headphone question
From: Brent Geery (fasttimes_at_fasttimesatridgemonthigh.org)
Date: 2004-04-01

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 20:19:29 -0800, "Bio Hazard"
<BioHazard_at_bak.rr.com> wrote:

> the SP will fit either way as the band is shiftable (i myself like it at
> 45degrees back)
>
> i dug up my old SP set last night and soldered it back together and i must
> say... i forgot what sound really SOUNDED like...
>
> with my cheap coby set, i need to crank all the eq settings up to make it
> sound good (B=9 T=12 L=9 BB=50) and the max volume before clipping was 85%
> with the SP i only need B=0 T=12 L=9 BB=0 and i can drive the bass up to 12
> and loudness up to 17 and play some thumping with no clipping even at V=92%,
> but the treble is a little lacking...
>
> <myoppinion>
> basicly if you want LOTS of bass but dont care too much about the treble, go
> for the SP
> </myoppinion>
>
> does the PP have the shiftable band like the SP? and (to anyone that might
> know...) what makes the PP cost $20 more than the SP? they look the same to
> me... more hi-frequency capabillity perhaps? (im trying to decide wether to
> go with a new SP or PP)

Not related to behind-the-head cans, but...

Take a look at the Grado SR-60 or SR-80 phones. The base is much
tighter (less boomy sounding) and they feel better on the ears. They
are also built to a much better quality level vs the SP/PP; the ear
pads don't wear out, and the thick cable doesn't break like the thin
cable of the SP/PP. They are very neutral sounding, so you do have to
EQ up the base, but it's super clean and detailed sounding base.

The SR-60's are about $60-$70, and the SR-70's (with thicker ear pads,
and audiophile cabling) is $80-$90. I've owned the SP, then picked up
the PP when the SP's broke in a year later, then picked up the SR-80's
when the PP's broke within 6 months. After 9 months with my SR-80's,
they are still like new. Well worth the extra money, IMO.

--
BRENT - The Usenet typo king. :)

Fast Times At Ridgemont High Info http://www.FastTimesAtRidgemontHigh.org Voted #87 - American Film Institute's Top 100 Funniest American Films