Subject: Re: archos as a cd changer
From: [IDC]Dragon (
Date: 2004-04-01

Fernando Birra wrote:

> I've started from the Alpine M-BUS plugin from Jörg and modified it to
> interact with the IBUS used in BMW cars. So now, I have an Archos "CD
> Changer" in my car...

Did you succeed to do IBUS directly, or are you communicating to an external
controller via RS232?

If it's an external controller, I once "specified" and posted a command set
and response format to issue commands to Rockbox and query information from
it, using the remote pin as half-duplex RS232. The command set was done in a
way that it can co-exist with the Archos remote. So this could be the basis
for "intelligent remote controls", like a car stereo interface. There are
several people working on similar subject, for different radio brands. It would be
great if you can agree on a common command set, so only the adapter needs to
be different, not the Rockbox part.
My Alpine interfacing is not intelligent, because I abandoned the external
microcontroller approach. The AJB has to do the interfacing, protocol and CD
changer emulation in an own module, the benefit is that I don't need external
hardware. But despite this, it will also be useful to have a common internal
API for remote commands, I'd be just bypassing the RS232 command parser part.

> PS. I will make the code available to all those interested. It is just
> that
> there are still some quite ugly piece of code in there and a bunch of
> bugs.

Yes, I'm interested.

100% Virenerkennung nach Wildlist. Infos: