Subject: Re: archos as a cd changer

Re: archos as a cd changer

From: jobarjo <jobarjo78_at_yahoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 13:14:39 +0200

Fernando Birra wrote:

>Hi,
>

>Well, I was planning on using the archos mainly at the car and the idea that
>immediately came to my mind was to replace the rockbox firmware with a
>modified version that would immediately talk to the bus once you turned the
>jukebox on. Perhaps a different approach can be taken later. At this stage
>of development I am still worried about getting the protocol between the
>jukebox and the headunit error free. Since I don't have a CD changer to spy
>I have to guess some of the things.
>
>About the idea of mapping the bus requests to standard archos buttons I
>don't think it would be done easily. The CD changer approach is not tree
>oriented like the folders in our jukeboxes. So, we would need to map the
>linear structure of the CD changer to the tree structure of the file
>system... Do you have an idea of a good mapping between the CD changer
>organization (Disc->Track) to the file system organization?

maybe you should just forget the 6 cd organisation? When you press 'CD6'
button, does the HU automatically displays 'cd number 6' or is it the
rockbox that tells it the number to display?
whatever, if you press 'CD6' twice, does the rockbox receive 2
notification of the cd6 button?
In this case you just map these actions as standard rockbox buttons. you
just have to post an entry in the button_queue. the rockbox will do the
rest.
this way you have the entire rockbox behaviour through your HU. maybe
you could use the talkbox feature also?
another advantage is that the buttons are still available and there is
no 'cd changer mode' it can cohabit easily.
you can look in serial.c and button.c in the firmware dir.