Subject: Re: archos as a cd changer

Re: archos as a cd changer

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:24:47 +0200 (MEST)

> >If it's an external controller, I once "specified" and posted a command
> set
> >and response format to issue commands to Rockbox and query information
> from
> >it, using the remote pin as half-duplex RS232.
> >
> Is there any existing code corresponding to this spec?

No, but there will be if my friends go ahead with their VW project.

> I agree with you, however, if I remember, it looked a little
> complicated. I will rely on it for my implementation.

> In the cvs code in serial.c there is actualy a 'screendump' option. this
> is not a bad idea.

I think this is dead code, and needs a serial mod. My aim would rather be to
use halfduplex communication with the remote pin, so you don't need to
modify your box.

> The actual serial code rely on the button_queue. It is just fine. Maybe
> it is better to add some more 'virtual buttons'
> I think I will rely on this very simple principle, and make the head
> unit act as an external remote with an lcd controler.

A pragmatic approach, maybe. However, these buttons are then only processed
in a few places. It would depend on the "mode" of the box.

> the actual serial.c code is polling the uart.
> Can I just modify it to make it an interrupt?

Yes, we think so. The polling is an ancient workaround. If you use
interrupts, you have to define the error interrupt as well, and clear any errors in
its handler. Otherwise the transmission/reception will be stopped. Such errors
happen if a normal headphone plug gets inserted/removed, because this shorts
the remote pin.

A friend of mine made a better driver, also capable to work bidirectional,
but never had the time to finish it into a patch-able state. Stay tuned.

Jörg