Subject: Re: new extension for talkbox clips (was Re: Installing Talkbox)
From: Brian Wolven (
Date: 2004-04-02

Aman Singer wrote:
> Hi.
> I don't see any reason to keep the MP3 extension if it's
> inconvenient. So long as it's just a change of extension, and the files
> still contain MP3 data, it's by no means difficult to deal with for talkbox
> users and would make other peoples' lives easier.
> I would, however, like to keep the TBX files in their directories.
> They're easier to manage, IMHO, in that way, than concatenated or in a
> separate directory, and it seems that simply changing the extension would
> get rid of the problem of the files being included in playlists.
> Aman

The script that generates clips doesn't care what the extension is, and
I'm sure it's a quick change to make the talkbox functions in rockbox
look for a different extension as well. You can use any one of the
various bulk renamers out there to fix any existing clips if it's a
hassle to regenerate them, too. Changing the extension seems like the
easiest way to keep the talkbox stuff out of playlists and such. I guess
the only other question would be whether that extension - whatever it is
- is a "supported" file according to rockbox. At this point even that
doesn't really matter, but it might if someday there is support for
making the clips directly with rockbox - recording from the microphone
or whatever.

Should we go ahead and start a long acrimonious thread about what the
extension should be now, or save that for later? =P