Subject: Re: voice file generation (Re: english.voice using AT&T Natural Voices)
From: Brian Wolven (brian.wolven_at_verizon.net)
Date: 2004-04-02

Daniel Gudlat wrote:

> Jörg wrote:
>
>> I don't know about if and how this MS speech stuff is supposed to work
>> under
>> Win98. It's included in W2k and XP, really nice voices need 3rd party
>> add-ons (AT&T).
>

> On the link to the MSAgent/SAPI downloads at the Microsoft site someone
> posted here a few days ago, it said Win95/98/Me/2000/XP as the minimum
> requirements. I downloaded all the stuff, installed it, but no go. Might
> be 98lite interfering or something else entirely, who knows...
>
> To add insult to injury, not only does it not work correctly, you can't
> uninstall it either. Bah!

The earlier vbscript looked specifically for MS Mary and Sam voices; if
it didn't find them it concluded you did not have the SAPI installed, as
those are part of the default package. I suppose it may be possible to
install the SAPI and *not* have those voices, but you'd probably have to
work at it. In any case, the more recent versions don't specify a
particular voice - they use whatever is set in the control panel. If
that doesn't work, then there must be something "unusual" with your
installation. Whether it's the 98Lite or not, I don't know.

In any case, the linux side needed work, so it's probably best that it
didn't work for you. Good motivation! =P