Subject: Re: sapi 4 and 5, + bookmarks accessibility
From: Brian Wolven (brian.wolven_at_verizon.net)
Date: 2004-04-03

Cristian wrote:

If you have both SAPI 4 and 5 installed, the Speech control panel applet
should have a tab called 'Other' after the Speech recognition and TTS
tabs. The 'Other' tab, at least on my XP machine, says that

'It appears that SAPI 4 is also installed on your system. Please use
this button to launch the SAPI 4 control panel.'

The SAPI 4 control panel lets you choose between any voices installed
earlier with that version. Whether those can support the text-to-wave
methods used in the script or not is another question, though. I tried
selecting from the SAPI 4 voices here and it had no effect on the script
output, as the script relies on SAPI 5 objects and methods. For
applications that directly use the SAPI 4 codes that ought to do the
trick, though. I'm not sure what needs to be done to get your additional
voices installed in SAPI 5 format. There are language settings that can
be specified in addition to the 'voice' itself, but they appear to
require that you have the TTS engine for that particular language
installed as well, so I haven't yet been able to experiment with them.