Subject: Re: Talkbox for Dummies
From: Glenn Ervin at Home (GlennErvin_at_cableone.net)
Date: 2004-04-04

Hi dBean,
Here is some info from a message that just came through a short while ago,
and you will need a current daily build with one of the two files you will
get from the below link:

Hello Voiceboxers,

The existing voice implementation for simplicity had an internal drawback,
it consumed memory in the string buffer also for words which are only
spoken,
like e.g. the numbers. This was the main reason for me not to implement
spelling, because the letters would have introduced a lot more of these
words.

Now I've changed this (mildly pushed by Daniel, thanks for the genlang
part), voice only words are independent by having their own ID space and
table.
Current drawback for the users is that I had to break compatibility and
change
the voice file format. From tomorrow's build on Rockbox won't load the old
format, you have to update the voice file to maintain the function.

I have prepared 2 voice files in the new format here:
http://joerg.hohensohn.bei.t-online.de/archos/speech/voicefont/

It's Microsoft Mary and AT&T Crystal speaking, your choice. You'll have to
copy and rename the one you want to "english.voice" on your box. (Of course,
in the .rockbox/langs/ directory.)
The files are now both 32kHz sample rate, so they will also play on the
digital output. On the long run, I doubt we can keep this high rate, it's
getting
pretty tight with space already (had to force a high VBR compression to fit
it into 1.5 MB).
The authoring tools there are also updated.

Sorry for this little hassle,
Jörg

100% Virenerkennung nach Wildlist. Infos:
http://www.gmx.net/virenschutz
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2004 5:45 PM
Subject: Talkbox for Dummies

I heard about talkbox a long time ago, but I have not kept up on it. In the most basic way possible, how do I install/use talkbox. What are all of the files that I will need to have? Where can I get them? What should I do with all these files? How do I use the features? Can I record - using my built in voice recorder - my own "talking" files? I am running a flashed FM recorder 20 and am using the 04/01/2004 daily build. Thanks.

- dbean