Subject: Re: (no subject)
From: Brian Wolven (
Date: 2004-04-04

Jeff Mayne wrote:

> I am wondering why after I load all me music files on my Archos and go
> to play the files in the folder it gives them to me in alphabetical
> order instead of by track number. I have tried and tried to get my files
> to comply but it is like they are laughing at me. How can I get my files
> to come up by track number not alphabetically? Thanks, Jeff

You need to make the track number part of the file name - the tracks are
ordered by name, not by ID3 tag info, which is not always present in any
case. You can use various renaming/ID3 tools to do this quickly and
easily, e.g., Siren, ID3-TagIt, etc. Personally I use a folder structure
of genre/artist/album and then name the tracks as ##-actual track
name.mp3. Most tools allow you to specify two digit track numbers, with
leading zeros, so that 01 always comes before 10 and so on.